Standards – every individual has them and they’re vital in this world since they keep things in order and, in general, tell us what is good and what’s bad. The word standard is associated with “principal”, “rule” and “ideal” that all have a more positive meaning. But with regards to dating and having a romantic relationship, could your standards get in the way? Are your dating standards too much?
When it gets in the way
Either consciously or subconsciously, everyone has ideal qualities for the individuals that we want to meet. The basis of comparison is referred to as standards. But with regards to the requirements of individuals we would like to date and perhaps have a romantic relationship with, this is referred to as dating standards. Please find below a few examples showing these types of dating standards:
1. I will just date someone with a stable career.
2. Only dating someone if she/he is generous.
3. I would only go out with someone who has a compatible personality with mine.
4. I would only date someone who is mentally mature.
This list can go on and on but in the meantime, let’s talk about the ones mentioned above.
Though the 4 standards stated earlier are not too much, they can be completely different when you interpret them this way:
1. Date an individual who earns 6 figures at the very least.
2. I will only date somebody who is not selfish. He needs to put me first more than anything else.
3. I will just date somebody who has a compatible personality with mine – I have a checklist.
4. Date an individual who is mature mentally and completely understands me.
If you interpret them this way then you probably have unrealistic dating standards.
What to do
The solution is not to make your dating standards too much. You must be realistic and truthful when it comes to your dating standards. If you do that then you won’t have unrealistic dating standards. This can really increase your chances of getting a better perspective on things and of finding a companion that will also do the same for you.
Please keep in mind that it’s crucial to have realistic dating standards, no matter what they are. It’s also crucial to bear in mind that your dating standards should measure up to you so prior to making an analysis of yourself, be fair and truthful. Having standards isn’t bad, not at all. They just have to be realistic, mature and honest.